I would like to share with you some simple ideas that you can personally use to help contribute to Live Earth on July 7th in your own home. These are tasks that only take a few minutes to accomplish. It was really hard to narrow it down to just 10, and I am sure you can think of a few more to add to the list. I would love to know what other ideas you came up with and what initiatives you may already be doing.
1. Opt Out of Postal Junk mail (sorry, but I have to mention this one!)
2. Plant a tree
3. Replace an incandescent bulb with a florescent bulb
4. Use a ceiling fan instead of the AC
5. Turn off your AC in peak hours
6. Turn down your hot water heater
7. Change your heating or AC by 1 or 2 degrees
8. Go on a family bike ride or hike instead of using the car
9. Turn your sprinkler system on at night or skip a day
10. Compost your perishable garbage instead of your garbage disposer which needs water
Bonus #11. Fill up your car gas tank and mow your lawn after 5pm, avoid gas fumes that are more harmful in the heat of the day.
I’d also like to mention that there are some great tools for you to figure out your personal impact on the environment. It’s really interesting and makes you think very hard about what you are really doing as opposed to what you think you are doing.
Calculate your household usage with American Forests Climate Change Calculator
Calculate your Carbon Usage using The Nature Conservancy’s Carbon Calculator
I also found a great set of ideas on Jason’s blog: Here Today, Green Tommorrow
Now go and make a difference…..